Monday, January 18, 2010

House hunting etiquette? What to say or not say to the realtor?

My friends are looking for a condo or townhouse, and originally my friend asked me to help her, by looking online to see what is available. So we saw some places she was interested in going to see, contacted a realtor, and we went and looked at some condos, me included. We went and saw two condos yesterday, one was a repo, and needed a lot of work, and as I was walking around, I kept saying that if I were to buy it, this is what I would redo, this is what I like and don't like about the place, just giving my honest opinion. Apparently after I left, my friend's husband said he was offended by what I said, and the realtor said she didn't want me around when they looked. My friend left me a message saying that I should have kept my opinions to myself. Why? If you don't say how you feel, how are they going to know what you like or don't like? She asked me to help in the first place, now this? What did I do wrong?House hunting etiquette? What to say or not say to the realtor?
I don't think it is the Realtor as much as your friends that you have offended.





Your comments draw attention away from the task at hand...and it is a formidable task. Your frends will propably be making their largest purchase to date and your keep commenting on YOU, your likes and dislikes.





Imagine shopping for your friends wedding dress and saying I like, I like, When I, if I, I, I, I,.





The appropriate comments would be. ';Oh Samantha, the bedroom is large enough for your king sized bed. '; Oh Sam, you love oak and the kitcken is all in oak.'; The main difference is you, you, you and not I, I, I.





you seem to have been a pest and have been ruining her joy.Apologize and forget about going again.


.House hunting etiquette? What to say or not say to the realtor?
To be honest the agent probably could care less. I know your type, come into a home and pick on everything. I personally find it funny as a Realtor because the only person you are offending are the potential buyers. I know if they don't buy it someone else will, so i do not get offended. Plus keep in mind we do not own the houses anyway, so there is nothing to get offended about. Ever think they liked the place and you picked it apart, now they cant buy it because you trashed it.


RE Agent,


Remax
buying a house is a HUGE decision! you are making an investment that you will likely be paying for for many years.. who cares about etiquette? that should be the last thing on your mind! if you have a question, by all means ask!
it's a no win for you,





The Realtor is piss because the RE agent has to deal with a third party who is not going to buy yet is giving negative comments about the units he/she is trying to sell





the husband probably does not like the fact that you negative comments when looking at a place maybe one he liked





best bet is to stay out of it
The answer can be taken from your own question:


';my friend asked me to help her, by looking online to see what is available.';


';as I was walking around, I kept saying that if I were to buy it, this is what I would redo, this is what I like and don't like about the place';





So, they only asked for your help in looking up listings online, but somehow you took this to mean that you should tag along and give your opinions on the place. They have to decide what they like and don't like, it's not your place to judge. I can easily see why they all don't want you there next time.
I think her intention was for you to help her look and talk to her about it after the showing. It isn't your purchase, and it really has no effect the things you would change, it is their purchase. I can't blame them for being upset, as it also made the realtor look really bad in front of everyone. Really not too much should be said during a showing, as you don't want to give anything away to the seller or their realtor. Take notes, and write down things you like or dislike, but it is VERY inappropriate to vioce your opinions during the process especially if you are not the one buying the property. There is a little something called discression, respect and class. Look them up and see what they are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment