Friday, January 22, 2010

What would be the minimum acreage for hunting whitetail deer be?

I'm looking to purchase some property for my son to hunting on, deer,turkey, etc. in Virginia. But, I don't want to go bust on the investment. Would 20-25 acres be too small?What would be the minimum acreage for hunting whitetail deer be?
It really depends on the type of land that surrounds it and how much hunting pressure is on those parcels. Take a look at the Plat map, if it is surrounded by a bunch of small 20 acre pieces then odds are pressure will be high as each piece will probably be hunted, if it is surrounded by much larger pieces say 150+ acres then you have better odds of lower pressure and less chance of tresspassers. I would say 25 is a bare minimum. I have 128 acres in West Virginia, with established food plots, and 5 years of management and great ATV trails that I'll sell to you.What would be the minimum acreage for hunting whitetail deer be?
My family has 120 acres up north, But here I have 2 1/2 acres of my own land. I have never not seen deer, and I am starting to draw in the turkeys. It's not as much as I would like, but it gets the job done.
There are many factors to consider.


The density of cover on the land.


The food availability.


The population of game in the area.


The human population in the area.


The water availability on the property or surrounding area.


I feel 20 to 25 acres is way too small.


50 acres would be bare minimum for 1 hunter 2 would be pushing it.


100 acres is better for you wont to be able to move your stand from time to time to best use the wind and weather.


I hunt on 1000 acres with 11 people (family) total and at time that gets crowded.


500 acres in cultivation year round 500 acres thick river bottom brush and thickets.


I average filling all my tags each year bow, muzzle loader and rifle because I can rotate out and not over hunt one area.


On even 50 acres you may or may not fill one tag let alone 7 or 8 tags per person.


But I guess it鈥檚 all on how you hunt, and how you like to hunt.








That my opinion.





D58
if it has good cover and food 25 is still going to be small 50 would be better
I hunted Whitetail successfully on as little as forty acres in South Texas, surrounded by big hunting ranches. Twenty-five should work if you are surrounded by large acreage, have a water and food source.





Good luck.





H
nope if you have a fidder and a blind just wait for them to like the area your in for they won't stop coming to your parts of the ranch also The population of game in the area is very inmportant .
Twenty acres is plenty,its bigger than you think and you and your son plus a couple of Buddy's could stand hunt and not even be close to each other,my 20 is 220 yards by 440 yards and we have four guys rifle hunting there and we almost always see deer.Even ten acres would be enough
25 acres would be good, but just for you and your son. I would not go any smaller than that. You'll probably have to do a lot of sitting/treestands as it will be too small to drive when you deer hunt. I'm assuming there is a lot of cover/woods on the property, which, obvioulsy is good for the wildlife. 25 acres would be a good little peice of hunting land to have. Good hunting.
I have a 20 acre cut over behind my house. Several deer are taken out of there every year. Farm fields around it, a pond plus a few extra food sources that I provide. There are a few paths that cut thru it , for access to the pond or to a field or for an irregation line from the pond to a field. We have a couple of drives in it during the season ,but mostly we still or stand hunt it.


Most counties in Virginia have large deer populations, 20-25 acres of private land is plenty for you,your son and a guest or 2.
that is a small peice but you only need 1/4 acre to set up a stand planting food plots right on the stand should keep you killing game on that size of land since the deer population is most likely high in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment