Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How do I get my tabby cat to stop hunting?

I have a orange tabby cat, who was dropped on our doorstep when she was a kitten. She is now 2 years old and spayed. She also has worms now because we live in the country and she hunts alot. I LOVE animals soo much and i hate that she hunts. how do i get her to stop hunting for her tummies sake and for my nerves sake!?LOLHow do I get my tabby cat to stop hunting?
Gee, toughest question of the day.





Let me think.





Hmm...





What could you do.





Hmm....





This is tough...





Hmm...





Oh I know!





KEEP HER INDOORS WHERE SHE BELONGS!!!!!





Next question?How do I get my tabby cat to stop hunting?
actually i do. but my step father is taking care of her for 2 months and im living with my mom. he always lets her outside and i have no control of that when i live 300 KILOMETRES AWAY STUPID! i come to visit her, but she always sneaks out? she was born to hunt cuz, we adopted her as a stray.

Report Abuse



The easy answer is to keep her inside with lots of toys to keep her occupied.





Worms are not the only danger to hunting cats. Many people use rat poisons in their barns and if cats eat mice who have eaten these, it can cause their blood to not clot which means that if they get cut or bruised they can bleed out.





There are some preventative medicines that can prevent some pests. For your cat, I would recommend Revolution as it protects against fleas, ear mites, heartworms, hookworms, and roundworms. If your cat is protected against fleas, she is less likely to get tapeworms because tapeworms need to go through part of their life cycle in the flea.





My mom always took animals away from cats that she didn't want them hunting, but i don't really think that works. Cats have a natural instinct to hunt and you just can't train hundreds or thousands of years of instinct and breeding out of an animal in one lifetime.





I know you probably were looking for a different solution, but your best bet is keeping her inside and protecting her against what you can with proper preventative medicine.
The best thing you can do is get it a collar and put a bell on it so that when she tries to sneak up on her prey, it wioll hear the bell and run/fly away.








P.S I saw the answer to a question about someone wanting to plait their horse for hunting.





I shouldn't worry too much as they drag rags with a scent along the course. It's not harmful to animals anymore as that's illegal. I completely agree that it was cruel to animals to hunt them but it doesn't happen in the UK anymore.





I myself want to go hunting when I get my horse at christmas because I know that it will be fun without any blood being spilt. It's called Trail hunting and it's a great alternative to normal hunting.





But you are aloud your own opinion.
Other than keeping her indoors, there really isnt anything that you can do about it. Cats hunt. Its a natural instinct. There really isnt any way to stop that behavior. In my opinion (as unpopular as this is), if she loves being outdoors and has been and indoor/outdoor cat for this long it would be cruel to confine her indoors.





As long as she is away from any potential danger, like a busy road, I dont see the harm in it. I have had both strictly indoor and indoor/outdoor cats. My cat Whisper actually shredded a metal screen because we tried making her an indoor cat. I know from personal experience that some cats are happier being outside.





You can ask your vet if there is anything that you can give her to prevent worms. I think one of the Heartguard formulas works on them.





Best of luck!!








EDIT:





Okay, I have an issue with the Catbib that the poster above me posted. If that thing were to get caught on anything, it could either strangle your cat or trap her there and she would end up starving. I would NEVER use it!
Let her live inside where you can care for her properly and grant here a long life by keeping her safe and healthy.
All i can stay is keep her inside, cats are carnivores, thats there instinct to hunt!!
D: keep teh kittayyy insideee AND FEED HER
Keep her indoors!





R P CAT
You don't. Cats hunt. However, you can prevent them from catching their prey.





http://www.catgoods.com/testimonials2.ht鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment