Monday, January 18, 2010

When hunting quail or duck what size of shot would you use?

i just completed my hunters ed and now im going hunting and i need to knowWhen hunting quail or duck what size of shot would you use?
well i have never hunted quail before (not many around my house to hunt) but ducks i use 4 or sometimes 2 shot for and geese i use the heavy size shot size T or BBB or BB





but i would imagaine shot size #6 would work well for quailWhen hunting quail or duck what size of shot would you use?
Shots at qual are generally closer..so something like 8 shot is best.





Ducks are usually shot at longer distances...so 6 shot is prefered, because the heavier shot retains the energy at the longer distance.





The other thing to bear in mind is that waterfowl hunting now mandates the use of steel shot. Since steel is lighter than lead, you again have to go to a larger shot size to maintain the energy effectively at the longer distances. So now you are looking at 4 shot in steel, to maintain the ballistics of the 6 shot using lead pellets.
I haven't hunted ducks since they started requiring steel shot. For quail, 7 1/2 or 8 shot. For pheasants, #6 shot. I used to use #6 lead on ducks, and they used to say go 2 sizes larger so I would guess #4 steel.
For quail #7 in my 20 ga. #6 in my 12 ga. Prefer the 20.





For duck, #4 in a 12 ga.





Modified or IC choke.
Quail and duck are different hunts. In steel, I like #2 for duck. Upland game -- quail, grouse, pheasant, I use #4 or #6.
4 for duck, 2-3 for geese. 6-7 for quail. Give or take.
I prefer to use No. 4 shot for duck and No. 6 or 7 for quail.
Quail I use 7 1/2 or 8, don't hunt ducks though
I use #6 for grouse and partridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment