Monday, January 18, 2010

In regards to hunting deer,what was the best shot you have ever made??? Why was it such a good shot?

What were the circumstances and how did it play out???... Thanks again... JessiIn regards to hunting deer,what was the best shot you have ever made??? Why was it such a good shot?
I have made a few nice shots.


The first being 7 years ago with my Rem. 710(oh the dreaded 710!).





I was standing at the point of 2 acres of heavy timber, with heavy underbrush. My brother and his buddy went in the other end to push them towards me. I was waiting forever, and they finally emerged, no deer. We turn around to walk back to the truck, and alas, a little 4 point buck was standing about 200 yards off. I had used all but 2 rounds of my 180 gr ammo in checking the sights, so I had a 180 in the chamber, one in the top of the mag, above three 220 gr Rem Corelokts.





My first shot was freestanding and missed, so he began to lope off to the east, towards the road. The subsequent barage of poorly aimed shots while he was on the run missed. He darted across the road, across 40 yards of tilled corn stalks, through the creek, and about another 200 yards into the middle of this wheat field. I had to run across 150 yards of tilled stalks, the road, and the other 40 yards of stalks across the road to the tree line that lined the creek. Heavily panting, with repeated sharp pains in my side, I level that .30-06 across a 2'; branch and squeeze one off into his vital area, which was easy as he was broadside to me, about as graceful as a fat kid at the ballet. The bucks legs spread out, he wavers near 4 seconds and falls dead. Upon our arrival at what we figured to be near a 250 yards shot, we see the south wind had placed the hit at 2'; back from his cape. had hit his jugulars and he had bled out on his feet.





Purely unintentional, and no damaged meat. And I made my brother and his buddy drag it back to the suburban for me!











The best shot I have ever witnessed was my buddy with a Winchester .243 he had never shot before. 300 yards in 10'; of snow, with a gun he had never shot before. Bullet went right thru the heart, with a gun he had never shot before. It was his first deer, and he was exhilarated, til we made him clean it himself. Did I mention he had never shot it before?In regards to hunting deer,what was the best shot you have ever made??? Why was it such a good shot?
My personal best shot was not made while deer hunting. My most memorable shot was deer hunting, I had been sitting on a small gully between the gap of two canyons in west Texas. About 420 in the afternoon I saw three whitetail does pass along the lower edge of a trail opposite of me about 400 yards and they worked up towards the trailing edge of the gap I was sitting on. At 505 I saw what appeared to be a decent white tail buck come down the same trail. He took his time and the sun was setting behind me as he came to within 84 yards. The shot dropped him in his tracks, I was using a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum with open sites and a 240 grain soft point bullet. The buck was a 9 point that scores 163.4 and was my first wall hanger. My best shot,there are two.One was shooting a coyote with a 6.5mm BR TC custom pistol at 518 yards. The other was on a charging water buffalo, he came up out of the grass at 22 yards and we didn't know he was there. He made a full charge, my PH jumped left, I snap shot him at 9 feet with a 416 Rigby right at the base of his horns, jumped right and he crashed 14 feet behind where we had both been standing. I still get a odd feeling 12 years later when I think of that.
My personal best was a 50 yard shot with a 20 gauge shotgun. The deer blindsided me, so I didn't have a chance to get any closer. I was confident in my ability at that range though, so I squeezed off a vitals shot, offhand.





The little guy ran about 20 yards before expiring. When we dressed him out a few minutes later, we found that his heart was completely blown to pieces.





I was fourteen when I made that kill, and it was my first deer. That deer also helped feed my family through a pretty rough winter.
The best shot Ive ever made was with my Rem mod7 in 260. it was 248yrds. I was using 120 sierra bullets with IMR4895. I sighted it in for 200 yrds. I knew I had better than 200 yrds, so I held the cross hairs at the top of the deers back. the bullit dropped about 10 inches and he dropped in his tracks. The other was with my 270. A 8point buck was loping across a field and I ddropped him at 157 yrds. It pays to practice at the range, at 100 to 300yrds.
A few years ago I had a three day weekend. I still lived in South Texas within 38 miles of my ranch. My best friend and I went bird shooting. Friday and Saturday we shot dove. We each got our limit. I still wanted to deer hunt so I stayed until Sunday. I woke up with a sore shoulder from shooting that 12 gauge o/u, grabbed my Remington 700 ADL in .25-06 Remington and slung it across my shoulder. I took two buckets of floating fish food and hiked out to my pond to feed the fish. As I stood on the bank of my pond I noticed a Whitetail deer about 300 yards out staring at me. I set the two buckets of fish food down and shouldered my .25-06. I set the crosshairs for a neck shot thinking I'll either miss or it'll drop on the spot. It was a standing shoot with no support. As my rifle fired I flinched. It was the first time I realized my .25-06 had any recoil at all. Even the mild recoiling .25-06 was painful to my sore shoulder. Just then I noticed five deer scatter that had been hiding in the mesquite brush. I figured and I'd missed and having taken the shot at the first deer I might have missed out on a better deer. Disgusted (at having missed) I quickly fed the fish then walked back to my cabin. My old yellow, 1979 Ford pickup was there and I thought I'd just drive out to spot to look at the tracks. Well what do you know, that first deer had dropped out of my scope so rapidly I never saw it fall! It was a perfect neckshot at 300 paced yards! We really needed the venison that year too, so it was a great hunting season.





H
My husband shot his 3X4 over the highway 80yds away with his bow, man he is an amazing shot with that bow let me tell you.





OOPS! I had the story all mixed up. It wasnt over the highway (that was a different deer) and it was 110yds. My husband was upset that I told the story wrong...LOL!





I have my first hunt ever next month, wish me luck!
I shot an 8 point 130 class deer at just over 300yds with a 243. I saw him for just a minute in a clearing walking. When I shot him I knew where he was heading and that I could get in a second shot if needed. He went just a little ways and dropped in the second clearing. He weighted 225. I had him mounted.
thats a hard one but every deer ive killed while using dogs was amasing to say the least its a learned skill to hit deer running with dogs on their trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment