Monday, January 18, 2010

Can Hunting Dogs get along with cats?

I have a 7 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound. He's very sweet and likes people, but he does like to bark at cats, but he usually doesn't chase them. He's more likely to chase a rabbit or squirrel. I really want a cat, but the question is, could my dog get used to a cat, or would he tear it to shreds regardless?Can Hunting Dogs get along with cats?
I don't know if I would chance it. I've had neighbors across the street that I've lived on since I was 3 years old. They have a bunch of dogs, mostly all hunting dogs. They've killed Many of my cats before. Actually, there are these girls that used to like walking their black dog (not a hunting dog or anything, just a nice looking puppy) and one day he ran up in my yard and killed my favorite cat as well. He didn't mean it, I don't think. Just started chasing the cat...and caught up to her. (Sorry...depressing). It's just a liability having a cat around any dog. Let alone a hunting dog. You should have an animal behaviorist check out your dog and tell you if it's a good idea or not. But from my experience...probably not the best one. But I guess it depends. I'm not an expert.Can Hunting Dogs get along with cats?
i have a walker hound and a pup that killed my two kittens.


idk i guess it depends on the dog.
Have an animal behaviorist temperament test him.

No comments:

Post a Comment