Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is a single shot shotgun OK for pheasant hunting?

Starting up pheasant hunting and need to know whats the best type of shotgun to use. Is it practical enough to use a singleshot shotgun considering it's less than a hundrad dollars? And I want to get a 12 gauge. I also hear people talking about adjusting the choke, what do they mean by that? Thanks.Is a single shot shotgun OK for pheasant hunting?
If I had a dollar for every phesant that's fallen to a single-shot 12gauge, I could probably retire a happy man.


You don't have to shoot a phesant more than one time to kill it.Is a single shot shotgun OK for pheasant hunting?
A single shot is ok, but you need to really make your shot count, in pheasant hunting it is really nice for even good shots to have a follow up shot, but pheasant hunting conditions very so you only may get one shot and a single may serve you well.





I would check and see what local people use maybe check a local hunting publication or ask when you buy your license.





A 12 or 20 gauge is good for pheasant, I prefer my pheasant gun light as i do alot of walking. I use a Winchester 20 gauge youth model with a modified choke and 6 shot cartridges, for upland species you want anywheres form 8 to 6. That is the number on the box, the bigger the number the more pellets but the smaller the size and less killing power. The smaller the number the less the pellets but they are bigger and kill better. So it depends on the species and range. Anyways, the youth model is nice and compact and short, I am short, but have outgrown it, but it is still a nice gun. A break action 12 gauge will kick like a mule, my father started me out on a break action 20 and it kicked like nothing else, no one would believe me, he would make me fire, then I got that pump action and I fired so many rounds and I loved it.





The only good thing about a single shot is it is very cheap and really light which is good if you walk and take few shots.





Pumps are really cheap too, more expensive than singles by far but alot cheaper than the double barrels associated with pheasant and upland game. I would recommend a pump action and you can use it for all other types as well, get one that has a removable choke tube.





You can adjust the choke only if your gun has an adjustable choke which the majority of single shots don't. My pump has a removable choke tubes and so do my autoloaders. You screw it out and put a new one in. I use improved and full and modified. Cylinder is the lowest with full the highest. Many double barrels have different tubes in each one to do different shots. But you can't usually change them in all other guns that fast.





The choke refers to how your shot spreads the full choke keeps the shot in a tight pattern so you can kill at longer ranges, like waterfowl, ducks or geese. Modified I prefer for quail, dove, and pheasant. It opens up shorter but still stays together for a long kill.


Like I said maybe check local publications on pheasant hunting or ask someone to see what ranges and chokes they use, as it does vary regionally.
SIngle shot is fine. I started with a single shot 410 when I was 7 and could get consistant doubles on the skeet range by the time I was 9. Stoeger makes a very good single shot with removable chokes which is lacking in most single shots. they are relativley inexpensive and are made well. I bought my son one last year (20 ga) and he has had no problems in the field taking game. As with any firearm, the more comfortable you get with it, the faster you will become with it, especially reloading. As far as ethics go, be the best shot you can be and choose your shots well and you won't have a problem.
I would suggest a pump, or doulble barrel. It is better to have a follow up shot, if for anything to be more a ethical hunter by avoiding injuring the bird and letting it live.





Chokes sometimes can be changed, my pump has that. You can make the patteren tighter so that the pallets fly further.
for just ';starting out'; a single shot shotgun is fine. it will make you a better shot later on when you decide to upgrade to a pump, autoloader, double, etc. as for the choke question.....the choke of a shotgun barrel can produce a wide shot pattern( full choke) or an ever tightening shot pattern. screw in chokes let you decide which pattern you prefer for the game you are hunting. in my opinion improved cylinder is the best all around choke to use, except for waterfowl, where i prefer a modified choke because it does better with steel shot.
all you need is one shot but if ya miss it's going to take a little longer to get the next shot off.





I have a single shot 12 gauge





Most barrels are choke... just ask the gunstore dealer and they can explain it. If you buy a shotgun it's going to work so don't worry about getting the wrong one.








I'm not sure what adjusting the choke is but I'm really just after the two points.. but you don't need to worry .. that's my 2 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment