Saturday, January 16, 2010

Which shotgun should I get for hunting?

I want to hunt turkey and deer. I found the mossberg 535 and the mossberg 500. Which is better for what I'm doing. I don't want to spend more than 300 and want a good gun. I heard they are made of aluminum. Does it ever bend or break often. I need help, I'm a first time buyer.Which shotgun should I get for hunting?
The difference between the Mossberg 500 and the 535 is that the 535 accepts 3 1/2 inch cartridges.... Of course 3 1/2 inch cartridges are more powerful but the downside is the recoil.... I fired a 3 1/2 inch Turkey load once and it knocked the snot out of me and I am a decent size guy - 6 foot 235 pounds / big shoulders..... That being said I have had NO interest in owning the Mossberg 535....... On the other hand I do own several Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotguns... I have a few police / security models, a couple of slug guns and a couple of field shotguns.... They only accept 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch cartridges which suits me just fine.... I have had zero problems taking deer and other game with these shotguns..... Of course the 535 accepts 2 3/4, 3 inch and 3 1/2 inch cartridges but if you are recoil sensitive you may want to pass on the 535......





Aluminum receiver? --- Not an issue.... These shotguns are known for there reliability for heavy duty military, police, tactical and combat shotgun contests..... Some folks make a big deal about the Remington 870 having a steel receiver but I say sop what.... If Mossberg shotguns can hold up in Iraq then they are fine for whatever your going to be shooting at...........





Look at this article concerning the Mossberg 590 which uses the same aluminum receivers as the 500 your looking at....





http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/I鈥?/a>





I like Mossberg shotguns a lot --- Others will point out the Remington 870 is there preference and I will concede they are a fine shotgun for your consideration also.....





This Mossberg 500 field model is commonly available for about $250 in my area.....


http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_鈥?/a>Which shotgun should I get for hunting?
I have a Mossberg 535 w/thumbhole stock. I absolutely love it, and out of the box it is quite accurate for a shotgun, It produces a nice spread at 40 yards. The Recoil is very tolerable and you are able to shoot 1 handed. I use it for Turkey mostly, but I also shoot trap with it and it performs nicely.
get a stoeger, they have the same firing mechanism as the pricey benelli but at half the cost. i think they go for around $550 for an autoloader but its well worth it. they also make a pump, the p350 thats priced more in your stated range.





www.stoegerindustries.com
12 gage - easy to find amo - different size shot for many kinds of hunting and protection.
Either one will do the job, as long as they are atleast a 12 gauge.
i would say 535 would suit your needs.
there steel and they both will do the job and are good at it

No comments:

Post a Comment